SnackWell's Black Forest and Chocolate Mint Cookie Cakes

Nabisco started advertising their SnackWell's cookie cakes in 1992. In the commercials, hordes of women were going crazy over these devil's food cookie cakes.

SnackWell's were supposed to be a healthier alternative to traditional store-bought cookies, and consumers were encouraged to go wild with them--although the suggested serving was one cookie cake, which contained 50 calories.

They looked good, so I bought a box and tried them. I thought they were okay, but they weren't something I just had to have--unlike the hordes of women in their commercials.

A few years later, though, I noticed two new varieties: black forest and chocolate mint. Something told me I'd like them much better than the original, and I was right. They were soooooooo good. I couldn't decide which one I preferred. I think it was whichever one I was eating at the time.

I bought both new flavors regularly, and no, I didn't eat an entire box in once sitting; I actually stopped after a cookie or two. Then one day, the inevitable happened: they were gone from the shelves. Nabisco had discontinued both the black forest and the chocolate mint flavors. Both of them? Seriously? The original devil's food cookie cakes were still available.

The devil's food cookie cakes were discontinued at some point but eventually came back, possibly with a different recipe. This time around, they contain HFCS. It's possible that the devil's food always did, but the black forest and chocolate mint contained maltitol instead.

I found this compilation of all 23 of the classic SnackWell's commercials.

4 comments:

Sheila Siler July 6, 2012 at 5:34 PM  

Interesting,I actually have not gotten into SnackWells but I know a lot of people who did. BTW, all I see is a black background too.

Eliza Wynn July 6, 2012 at 6:51 PM  

Thanks, Sheila! I don't know what's wrong. I haven't seen any other bloggers complaining about it happening to their blogs. It's weird.

Eliza Wynn July 7, 2012 at 9:24 AM  

The template is working now!

Anonymous March 16, 2013 at 2:58 PM  

Where can I buy the chocoate mint nabisco cookie cakes.

About Diary of a Non-Person

Dedicated to the canceled shows "nobody" watched, the discontinued products "no one" was buying, and the restaurants that closed down because "people" didn't eat there. Why? Because it happens to so many of my favorites.

About Me

My photo
My earliest memory of a career aspiration was to be a writer. My hobbies and interests include dogs, music, and spending time with my husband. I watch far too much television and seem to specialize in shows that don't get the ratings needed to stay on the air. An avid reader, I've been known to read several books a week.

Followers


Powered by Blogger.